Jul 3, 2011

{Review} Dirty Blood by Heather Hildenbrand (YA PNR)

Dirty BloodDirty Blood by Heather Hildenbrand
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE:  YA Paranormal Romance
THEME: Wolves
RECEIVED: Won from Author
AUTHORS BLOG: Heather Hildenbrands Blog

PURCHASE: Dirty Blood




BLURB:

I killed a girl last night. I did it with my bare hands and an old piece of pipe I found lying next to the dumpster. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that scared me, the part I can’t seem to wrap my head around and still has me reeling, was that when she charged me, her body shifted – and then she was a wolf. All snapping teeth and extended claws. But by the time I stood over her lifeless body, she was a girl again. That’s about the time I went into shock… And that was the moment he showed up. 

Now, all I can do is accept the truths that are staring me in the face. One, Werewolves do exist. And Two, I was born to kill them.



REVIEW:
I’ve wanted to read Dirty Blood for some time now and I was so excited to win a copy on Goodreads. Heather Hildenbrand created an original story about werewolves and hunters, with a romance that has your toes curling with excitement.  I really enjoyed this first book in this new werewolf storyline.

Tara is a high school girl living the regular teenaged life; she has a rival, great friends and a boyfriend who is not always there. One night changed everything when a wolf attacked her and for some strange reason she knows how to fight back and fight hard. The bad part is… the wolf turned out to be a girl and the freak out session begins. When a mysterious guy named Wes comes to help her, Tara discovers her life was destined for not so ordinary.

I really enjoyed Tara as the lead female, she acted her age and really stood up against all the lies and secrets that people have kept from her. I loved the mystery behind her life that she discovers through out the book and how she starts to really grow up and become a stronger woman.

Wes just made me smile as well as frustrate me. I loved his mysterious bad boy side of course, but sometimes his decisions were just too selfish. But to me this gave him character and an idea of the life he has led. Tara wonderfully stood up to him a lot and she gained a lot of backbone with his mood swings.

The plot was exciting and I couldn’t get enough of the history behind the wolves that Hildenbrand created. She really brought a new life to the werewolf story. Though the romance was very obvious from the beginning I liked that it developed and there is still a lot to evolve.

Dirty Blood was full of action and fantastic characters that I can’t wait to learn and read more about in her second book. Tara has a long way to go and a lot to learn about her self and family. The villains are everywhere and the trouble is just beginning. Oh and if your curious about what Dirty Blood means, you will find out and its extremely important. The ending was a bit of a cliffhanger and now I’m restless to read what’s next with Wes and Tara!

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult book for all ages, minor violence with some fight scenes. Fans of Jennifer Sommersby and Jennifer L Armentrout will love this series.


View all my reviews

2 comments: