Apr 15, 2019

{Review} My Life in Shambles by Karina Halle

My Life in ShamblesMy Life in Shambles by Karina Halle

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
GENRE: Contemporary Romance
THEME: Life
My Life in Shambles
My Life in Shambles
by Karina Halle
4.22
 · 673 Ratings · 182 Reviews

BLURB:

When Valerie Stephens made the resolution to say yes to new adventures, she never thought she’d end up in the tiny town of Shambles, fake engaged to one of Ireland’s top rugby players. But there’s a first time for everything.

They say bad things happen in threes.

After my boyfriend broke off our engagement, I lost my apartment, and was laid off from my job, I can definitely attest to that.

They also say life is what happens when you say yes to new adventures.

So when my two sisters invited me to ring in the new year in Ireland, I decided to throw all caution to the wind and go for it. I was going to let “saying yes” be my new resolution.

Little did I know I’d spend New Year’s Eve having a hot and dirty one-night stand with Padraig McCarthy, one hell of a sexy Irishman. I also didn’t know that the brooding and intense sex god was one of Ireland’s top rugby players.

A rugby player with a proposition for me:

Come with him to his tiny hometown of Shambles and pretend to be his fiancé for a few days, just so that his ailing father can have some peace of mind.

It sounded simple enough.

It was anything but.

Not when a town gets up in your business, not when the media hunts you down, not when your past comes back in the picture, not when there are real hearts and feelings at stake.

Not when there are secrets that could break you.

They say life is what happens when you say yes to new adventures.

This is my life in Shambles.

REVIEW:

This was such a beautifully written story, very emotional and really takes a deep look in someones life with disabilities and someones life with a serious medical condition. Both characters a beautifully raw and I felt for them in their own right.

My Life in Shambles follows Valarie, who has just cut lies with her fiance after he cancelled their engagement. She also has just lost her dream job due to cut backs, so she's at a really low point in her life. Her sisters are going off to Ireland and convince her to go with them to just breath a little and forget the pains of what just happened. There Valarie meets a brooding but lovable man, Padraig. He is going through a life change as well, his whole career and way of living is about to change, along with sad news about his fathers health. Together these two embark on a journey, trying to find their place with what life has handed them as well as in each other.

Valarie is a woman who at a young age was injured and has dealt with the disability her whole life. Her family, though they love her, has not been easy on her. Especially her mother. I had a really hard time with her mother, she was cruel, unloving to me, and I wanted to smack her across the face with how awful she was to everyone. Her daughters all live very different lives but she has these crazy expectations that she pushes them towards, not considering how much her daughters are hurting. But Val is tough, she's use to her mothers belittling, she takes this trip as a next step and after meeting Padraig, she really opens up and becomes her true self.

Padraig is like a big teddy bear, you just can't help but love him and feel for him. He's a rugby star and has been diagnosed with a medical condition that changes. Meeting Val gives him a chance at changing his relationship with his father who is dying, as well as meeting someone who just gets him and not the rugby star. He has a lot of ups and downs, he goes through so many emotions dealing with his father and his condition, while also pulling Val along, who seriously is his angel through it all.

Overall I was a hot mess reading this book, it really pulled at every emotional heart string I have and then some. Halle put so much depth, love and soul into these characters, it wasn't just about the beautiful romance that evolved but about the journey these characters had to face when reality hit. I loved every flaw they had, every smoking hot scene, every spoken word. It was such a fantastic story and one I didn't know I needed.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment