Jan 30, 2016

{Review} The Truth Spell by Anita Oh


The Truth Spell by Anita Oh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: Young Adult
THEME: Paranormal, Mystery, Werewolves
RECEIVED: Tour

BLURB:

As soon as I stepped onto the grounds of Amaris High, I knew I'd made a big mistake. I could never fit in at such a snobbish school – I was more IT girl than "it girl". But then I saw him.

Sam Spencer. My childhood best friend. But it couldn't be. Sam Spencer had died three years ago, on the night that changed everything. I need to know what happened, why he's suddenly not dead and is hanging out with a bunch of rich kids.

When the school is hit by a truth spell, it seems like the perfect chance to find out what Sam and his creepy new friends are hiding, but the weirder things get, the less I'm sure I want to know. Even for Sam, even for the free food, Amaris High might be more trouble than it's worth.

REVIEW:

I have a weakness for anything involving werewolves, I couldn’t wait to see what author Anita Oh’s take would be on tmy favorite paranormal creature. The Truth Spell is the first in the series and the character introductions were very well done, I was able to connect to each character even if they were rude to the lead Lucy.

The Truth Spell follows Lucy O, Conner who has gotten a scholarship to a high class boarding school. But this is a unique school, where the students are divided by class. The red for the poor, green for the rich and gold for the super wealthy and “special” kids. But Lucy’s first impression with one of the golden kids changes her experience, which should have been good, to terrible. She is bulled by the very much loved Tennyson. After questioning him about seeing her supposedly dead BFF Sam standing near Tennyson, he tries to make her stay at the school miserable and lonely so she’ll leave. But when Lucy catches on to the secret behind to Gold House as well as her best friends reappearance, she gets involved in a casting spell mystery that’s effecting the entire school. Now she must work with the Gold students to help stop the spell as well as help with Sam who is dealing with some complex changes.

Lucy is a teenager that anyone can connect too, she not wealthy but she’s has the support of her family. She wants to do well in school and wont give up even if she’s bullied. I liked her strength and determination to get to the truth. I liked her friendship with her roommate Hannah, she is her number one support even when the Gold students try to cast her out. I also found the relationship with Sam interesting, the readers get glimpses into their past, but there is still so many unanswered questions. Then there is Tennyson, he is a major bully and well loved by the school and student, but feels Lucy is a threat. They have an interesting dynamic, Lucy doesn’t fear him and he I feel is starting to get curious about her now. I cant wait to see what else Lucy gets in the middle of in the next book.

The Gold students are in their own category, Sam and Tennyson both in the Gold house, have a lot of mystery behind them. Of course this means they are not only wealthy but they have a secret that Lucy finds out fairly quickly. They also need Lucy’s help when witchcraft is used to alter the students and teachers into telling the truth.

Overall I really enjoyed this first introduction to Anita Oh and her world of witchcraft and werewolves. I liked the mythology that the readers learn about the werewolves, but I know there is so much more to come. The villain is a big mystery and I’m curious as to what their real intensions are. I usually read books with romance, this one dives deep into friendship but I feel there may be a love triangle coming with Tennyson and Sam involved. Lucy has discovered a lot in her short time at the school, she has a lot of grasp and sometimes I found she accepted everything a little too easily. But I think there is more to Lucy than we know in this book and cant wait to see what happens next.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment