Sep 11, 2013

{Review} of Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

GENRE: Mature Romance
THEME: Contemporary
RECEIVED: Bought

BLURB:
When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

This book is intended for mature audiences.

REVIEW:

So I finally caved, especially since I’m a big fan of Charlie Hunnam who has been chosen for the part of Christian. If he was drawn to this character I had to see for myself what the attraction is. I was actually very surprised that I enjoyed it, the writing isn’t top notch and some big words are used in unusual spots that I didn’t understand, but the characters are what make the story.

Fifty Shades of Grey follows literary student and soon to be graduate Anastasia Steel. She is off to save the day for her friend by agreeing to interview a very wealthy businessman whom her best friend was suppose to interview, but got ill. Ana has a very intimidating but successful interview with the young Christian Grey, who finds he wants Ana. Both take chances at something neither expected, while Ana discovers that the man behind the businessman is not what she expected.

Ana is a very innocent and independent young woman, who wasn’t prepared to fall for a man like Christian Grey. She has never really had that defining relationship and is hoping that Grey could me the one. But his controlling side in the world of dominancy and romance surprises her. It was interesting to see her thoughts as she took in this intense environment and the man behind the wealth and this strange sexual world. I was glad to see she had some realistic thoughts. Sometimes she jumps ahead too soon, but I was happy she had her limits. In the end I felt her character was finally starting to grasp the reality of what she was getting herself into. She is brave girl, taking a risk into something that in the end could affect her forever. Luckily she weighed in on all of the “rules” that were listed for her and she does make a choice, which I was glad she did.

Christian Grey is one complicated man, definitely damaged and has never found the one person who wanted him for himself, not money. That is until Ana, who seems to challenge him unlike any girl he’s ever met. I liked that she expressed herself more and more, that her feelings were important to him. His past is a bit tricky and of course the readers get more details later on and even more so in the next book. I did feel bad for him, but still couldn’t understand his limits and rules. I don’t feel like this man is a dream guy at all and still can’t grasp the attraction for him. But I do feel sorry for his tough past and can see why some would feel that want to help him.

Overall this is something new for me; I’ve never read a book that has dealt with Dominancy and submissiveness. I had a very open mind when I read this because I’ve read so many reviews both positive and negative; I had to read it for myself. I feel the steamy/sexual scenes were a bit overwhelming at times and luckily the complexity of the characters overshadowed the intense bits. Again I didn’t like the random large words that felt like a dictionary insert, it made some sentences sounds odd. I however have no idea how there going to make a story like this into a movie; it will be interesting to see it nonetheless. This is a story that you need to read to understand the hype, its not great writing but something that I was glad to check out. This would of been 4 stars if the writing was better. Of course read at your own risk, as it is highly sexual and intense. I will be continuing the series to see what happens next for these two complex characters.

RECOMMENDATION:

This is an adult novel meant for mature readers over the age of 18, for its sexual content. I’m not one to recommend this type of story, so if your wanting to know what all the hype is about then do as I did.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment