Feb 20, 2013

{Review} Resisting Fate by Heather Powell

Resisting Fate by Heather Powell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Paranormal
THEME: Werewolf, Witches, Romance
RECEIVED: Author

BLURB:
Eighteen Year old Emmy O’Connell is the epitome of a hot mess right now. The supposed love of her life up and left town to attend some ridiculous boarding school, leaving nothing but a vague email in his wake. Her step douche is constantly drunk and badgering her too, and her mother? Well, she’s a just a miserable shell of a woman, and Emmy, along with her four year old brother, are suffering because the lady just can’t seem to get her life straight. And then the elusive Jack Hartman saunters into town. That’s when things go from downright awful ... to just plain disastrous. 

The jerk cousin of her boyfriend becomes Emmy’s worst nightmare, times ten. He’s cruel and insensitive, but then there’s that strange ability he has over her; the one where he can make Emmy weak in the knees with the single touch of his hand. But no matter how miserable or amazing Jack makes her feel, Emmy can’t seem to deny him, especially when he takes on the role of her protector, otherwise known as her sudo knight in shining armor, riding in on his black Harley. 

But then the impossible happens, rearing its head in the shape of a hairy wolf shifter. And the stubborn, unassuming Emmy is thrown head first into the center of it all. Will Emmy be able to handle the supernatural mess that is now considered her life? Or in the end, will she fight against the inevitable fate that her heart keeps insisting she grabs a hold of?

REVIEW:
Good start to a new shifter series, I feel like it’s been too long since I read a book with werewolves. Though the concept of the plot has been done before I love the addition of other supernatural creatures and an interesting background that connected all the characters.

Resisting Fate follows Emmy a high school girl who is feeling like she’s hit the lowest of lows. Not only is she dealing with her horrible family situation, but the one guy who made her feel special left without telling her much of anything. But when her ex-boyfriends cousin comes back into town and sparks something in Emmy she can’t explain, her world gets turned upside down. She is pulled into the supernatural world and torn between two people who love her deeply.

Emmy has had a life that I wouldn’t wish upon anyone, her mother is a wreck and just doesn’t have a clue what’s going on in her own home. Her stepfather is a drunk and abusively horrible man. I just wanted Emmy to get out of that house and fast, plus take her little brother with her. When she gets introduced to the supernatural world, she actually takes it better than I actually would. My main issue with Emmy was her indecisiveness and whiney moments; I might just be use to the tough girls who can handle anything. She gets a lot thrown at her and has to deal with the fact that she is connected to these boys without even knowing it. Her heart belongs to both boys Zachary and Jack, thus creating the dreadful love triangle that I’m not a fan of. Luckily I adored the raging and temperamental Jack. In the end my favorite tidbits were with Emmy and her best friend Kelsey who I got a kick out of.

The boys, Zachary and Jack are complete opposites aside from both being shifters and in love with the same girl. I loved the tension between the two, it was great competition but seriously I know whom I wanted to win in the end. As much as I think the author wanted the readers to like Zachary I loved Jack, his attitude was extreme and he was always angry but once you find out his history it makes sense. Zachary’s side of the story is interesting plus his family has a great connection with Emmy, but I felt his character wasn’t as appealing to me.

Overall I enjoyed the plot, Emmy discovering the world of the supernatural and finding out her family connection to it all. There is a lot of mystery, tension, steamy romance and my favorite supernatural goodness. Though I didn’t connect to the characters as much as I would of liked, I still enjoyed the twist and teen angst, I feel this story has a lot of potential that will lead us on into the next book. Plus the ending is a shocker and I have to know what happens next.


RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult novel that keeps on surprising you and be prepared for some emotional highs and lows. Fans of Brodi Ashtons Everneath series and P.T. Michelle’s Brightest Kind of Darkness series will enjoy Resisting Fate by Heather Powell.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment