May 14, 2011

(Review} She Smells the Dead by E.J. Stevens

She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide, #1)


She Smells the Dead by E.J. Stevens

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
GENRE: YA Paranormal Romance
THEME: Ghost, Werewolves and Magic
RECEIVED: Copy from Author
AUTHOR: E.J. Stevens Blog
PURCHASE: Amazon | Smashwords 

BLURB: 
It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like on TV. SHE SMELLS THE DEAD. Yuki is being visited in her dreams and suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. Will Yuki be able to save the spirits and herself?


REVIEW:
I was thrilled when E.J. Stevens asked me to review She Smells the Dead, I had heard some wonderful things about her books and I absolutely loved her cover art. I really enjoyed the first installment to the Spirit Guide Series, following Yuki and her friends on their on their adventures.

What I loved most about this YA series was the originality of the story. The lead female Yuki has an unusually power of smelling the dead. She very spirited and has an awesome assortment of gothic attire; she’s just a bundle of fun. Along with her two best friends Emma and Calvin they try to solve the mystery behind a man’s death whose spirit is following Yukie around.

A quick read that gets down to the point of the story, Steven wraps you up in her world she’s created with her fantastic writing. I loved her characters and the paranormal elements. The secret that revolves around Calvin and the crush that Yuki has, just made me smile with excitement to see what would happen next.

My favorite bit about this story is that Yuki’s spirit animal is a dung beetle aka a scarab. Her best friend Calvin calls her his dung beetle princess, and it just cracked me up every time. I’m very curious now to what my spirit animal is. I don’t want to give anymore about the story away because it is a shorter story. I recommend this book to YA fans that love humor, paranormal elements and a fun mystery.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a Young Adult novel suited for any age. Fans of Rachel Hawkins A Hex Hall Series and Lauren Kate’s Fallen Series will love this!




View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard about this one before but it certainly sounds like something that I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete