Feb 28, 2014

{Review} of Fates by Lanie Bross

Fates by Lanie Bross
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

GENRE: Young Adult
THEME: Fantasy, Myths, and Romance
RECEIVED: Netgalley

BLURB:
One moment. One foolish desire. One mistake. And Corinthe lost everything.

She fell from her tranquil life in Pyralis Terra and found herself exiled to the human world. Her punishment? To make sure people's fates unfold according to plan. Now, years later, Corinthe has one last assignment: kill Lucas Kaller. His death will be her ticket home.

But for the first time, Corinthe feels a tingle of doubt. It begins as a lump in her throat, then grows toward her heart, and suddenly she feels like she is falling all over again--this time for a boy she knows she can never have. Because it is written: one of them must live, and one of them must die. In a universe where every moment, every second, every fate has already been decided, where does love fit in?

REVIEW:

I’m a fan of mythology and have never read a story that focused on the Fates as the main character, I was immediately intrigued from the synopsis to see where Bross would take the type of character.

Fates follows a young Fate Corinthe who has one final job, after being exiled to earth she has the job guiding humans to their ultimate fates. Now after ten years she will be able to go home and joining the Fates again, she just has to kill one boy. But once Corinthe meets her final assignment, Luc, she starts to feels things she never experience before. Now fates will change and Corinthe will need to decide if a fate can fall in love?

Corinthe was an interesting character, she comes of as unfriendly but I found myself intrigued about her lack of emotion as a fate. If all fates are like this it give me chills to think what fates can be chosen for humans. Her character does eventually show signs of feelings and for once she doesn’t follow her orders very easily. Her character is constantly confused and starts to question what she use to follow and begin the become more “human.” I did like ever character development and how she become more real and started to slowly grab my attention near the end. But one thing is I don’t think I said her name right throughout reading this, it kind of frustrated me

Luc’s character I felt was more complex, he’s is a protective brother and has to deal with a world that he didn’t know anything about. I connected to him much more than I could with Corinthe, I think because of his persona. He comes from a broken family dealing with a lot of lows both with his sister and father. I really wanted this guy to having something good happen to him. His connection to Corinthe was definitely insta-love, which I loathe with a passion. I didn’t feel that spark I normally look for when couples are drawn together and I felt they were more interesting apart then together.

Overall this has a lot of potential that just didn’t hit the mark yet, it might in the next book. I was a bit distracted with the romance, I’m a huge romance fan and always need it in books I read but I just couldn’t grasp these two falling for each other so quickly. However I loved the mythology and how Pyralis and Humana were described, the world building was the best part of the story and I’m hoping continues in the next book. A lot happens and it happens fast, I think I’ll be re-reading this since I felt I miss some pieces that I didn’t quite understand.

In the end I’ll continue with this series because of the interesting twists and unique focus on the Fates mythology. I’m hoping for a more solid character development in the next installment so that I can connect a little more and start to care for the characters.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment