Apr 19, 2012

{Early Review} of Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Fantasy
THEME: Mythology/Romance
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Author
AUTHORS BLOG: Jennifer Esteps Site


BLURB:
I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?

It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.

REVIEW:
Jennifer Estep as always writes an addicting novel, Dark Frost circulates a lot around Gwen’s gypsy abilities this time around. With a much dark tone and lots of action, this mythological series hooks me every time.

Dark Frost starts off at the end of the winter break, but before the students can fully head back to school a horrible attack on them by the Reapers changes everything. Gwen and her friends must work together to fight the Reapers, along with finding the Helheim Dagger that Loki’s follower’s want. Danger is on an ultimate high for everyone and most definitely for Gwen.

Gwen gets to dig a lot into her mothers past in this novel. Her mother being the past Champion like her, she was the only one who knew where the Dagger is hidden. It was interesting following Gwen as she learned and saw more about her mother, her mother friends and how she was so similar to Gwen. Her friendships with Daphne and Logan are tested, and of course the romantic aspect with Logan is at risk because of her gift. The readers really get to see her grow in not only strength but also understanding her purpose as the Champion. Near the end the readers get a big shocker on how much Gwen can actually do with her gift.

Logan, the bad boy Spartan is majorly tested when he feels that Gwen knows a secret about his past. He frustrated me a bit because its not like Gwen could help being able to see visions when she touches someone, it can’t be turned off. But I feel that he’s starting to grow up also, he’s fighting for not only the academy but for Gwen. Daphne goes through some through some emotional situation with her powers and adds to the troubles everyone is having in the book.

Overall I liked the mystery behind who the villains were this time around and how the ending had major conflict for the characters in the upcoming books. Also my favorite secondary character beside the loud mouth sword, Vic, was Nott, the Fenrir Wolf and now I really want one to protect me and just have as a pet. There was lots of action, an intense ending, and a splash of romance that everyone will enjoy.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult novel with heavy focus on Greek Mythology. Fans of the House of Night Series and Vampire Academy series will love the teen angst and supernatural elements in Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment