Sep 27, 2011

{Teen Book Scene Tour} Review of Dark Souls by Paula Morris

Dark Souls
{Review for The Teen Book Scene Tour}

Dark Souls by Paula Morris
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Paranormal Romance/Horror
THEME: Ghost/Romance/Mystery
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Author
AUTHORS BLOG: Paula Morris's Site



REVIEW:
From the Synopsis I knew that Dark Souls was going to be a pretty creepy book, but the prologue really set the tone. I was immediately drawn to how this story was going to pan out; it really gave me the chills with Morris’s eerie writing and also made me wonder how many ghost are in this word that we walk by everyday and not notice.

The novel starts out with a horrible accident that changes the lives of Miranda and her brother Rob for forever.  Their parents decide that the family needs a little vacation to recover from the accident and leave for a city called York in Europe. Ever since the accident Miranda has kept a secret, she see’s ghost and unfortunately York seems to be full of them.  From a scary bloodied woman walking in the streets to the boy in window across from where her family is staying, they’re everywhere.  Then she meets Nick, a very mysterious boy, with a sad and lonely past. He seems to understand her more than anyone and she finally feels like she belongs. Until something dangerous starts to terrorize people near her and possible even her family. Miranda must stop whatever this darkness is before she looses even more than she already has.

Miranda was an interesting character, even though she seems to be afraid of the ghost that she see’s, she seems to take it pretty well. I loved her bickering relationship with her brother, they are each other’s major strengths through this book and I loved reading about a brother and sister relationship.

Rob was a typical older brother, picking on his sister but still being protective. He brought more light into such a dark story and I really enjoyed his puppy love moments when he see’s a girl he likes.

Nick was a toughie for me, I couldn’t connect with him as well as the others, but he was just so different that I liked him all the while. He was extremely mysterious and I never knew what he was really up too.

Overall this was a compelling novel that I felt hit all the right spots with its characters, plot and beautifully dark setting in York.  I loved the descriptions that Morris went into great detail to set the eerie mood of York. I’m curious from the ending to what’s next for Miranda and her brother.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult book with dark scene and minor graphic scenes. Fans of Gretchen McNeil’s Possess and Kendare Blake’s Anna Dressed in Blood will enjoy Dark Souls.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment