Sep 5, 2011

{Review} of Love Story by Jennifer Echols

Love StoryLove Story by Jennifer Echols
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Fiction
THEME: Drama/Humor/Writing
RECEIVED: Purchased
AUTHORS BLOG: Jennifer Echols Site
PURCHASE Love Story:



BLURB:
She's writing about him. he's writing about her. And everybody is reading between the lines.. 

For Erin Blackwell, majoring in creative writing at the New York City college of her dreams is more than a chance to fulfill her ambitions--it's her ticket away from the tragic memories that shadow her family's racehorse farm in Kentucky. But when she refuses to major in business and take over the farm herself someday, her grandmother gives Erin's college tuition and promised inheritance to their maddeningly handsome stable boy, Hunter Allen. Now Erin has to win an internship and work late nights at a coffee shop to make her own dreams a reality. She should despise Hunter . . . so why does he sneak into her thoughts as the hero of her latest writing assignment? 

Then, on the day she's sharing that assignment with her class, Hunter walks in. He's joining her class. And after he reads about himself in her story, her private fantasies about him must be painfully clear. She only hopes to persuade him not to reveal her secret to everyone else. But Hunter devises his own creative revenge, writing sexy stories that drive the whole class wild with curiosity and fill Erin's heart with longing. Now she's not just imagining what might have been. She's writing a whole new ending for her romance with Hunter . . . except this story could come true.

REVIEW:
I loved the idea behind Love Story by Jennifer Echols, a young girl wishing to be a romance writer and struggling with her past and family.  Echols wrote such a heart-wrenching story with elements of humor, love, and family that I really felt for the characters emotionally and it just enthralled me completely.

Erin grew up in a family full of money, but she also grew up having dreams similar to her mothers where they would live a life of their choosing.  Erin dreams to be a romance novelist, but her grandmother demands her to take over the family business. Sadly enough Erin’s life takes a turn after her graduation when her grandmother gives her college money and inheritance to the boy who works on the farm. Now in college Erin is struggling to live but her writing is everything she could ask for until the day Hunter, the boy who took everything from her walks into her class.

If felt like I was in Erin’s shoes every step of the way, Echols wrote her with such emotion and detail. If I was in Erin’s position I could see myself making a lot of the choices she made, I wouldn’t know if I’d be angry with the person who took my life or remember the feelings that she felt for him were stronger than her anger. Erin was such a great character in her writing, in her personality and I loved her strength that she never wanted to give in to her grandmother’s demands.

Hunter, no matter how much I love his character, I seemed to always be mad at him along with Erin. But deep down I could see how much he cared for her and really wanted their friendship the way it use to be. The chemistry between the two was undeniable and beautifully written.

Through out the novel, each character had to write short stories for their creative writing class. I was thrilled to actually be able to read the stories that they wrote and understand the emotion behind what they go though as they wrote each story. I was glad to see an author show another side to their characters instead of just saying plainly what they write.

Overall this was a wonderful story that I read in one sitting. I can’t think of the word to describe how much I enjoyed the journey with Erin and Hunter. My only quip is that the ending for me left me needing to know more about what happened after. It was a satisfying ending but I just needed a little bit more for me to be completely happy. But that’s just my feeling. I highly recommend this book to everyone, especially those who love to read and write because this really captures the love of writing.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult book with a beautiful and drama driven story that is a must read. Fans of Stephanie Perkins and Holly Shindler will absolutely be taken by Love Story.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same exact way! LOVE LOVED the book and characters but wanted more from the ending! Great review!

    ReplyDelete