Jul 30, 2014

{Review} of Free Agent by J.C. Nelson

Free Agent by J.C. Nelson
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

GENRE: Urban Fantasy
THEME: Romance, Fairy Tales
RECEIVED: Publisher

BLURB:
Early in her life, Josephine Malon
When it comes to crafting happily-ever-afters, the Agency is the best in the land of Kingdom. The Fairy Godfather Grimm can solve any problem—from eliminating imps to finding prince charming—as long as you can pay the price…

Working for Grimm isn’t Marissa Locks’s dream job. But when your parents trade you to a Fairy Godfather for a miracle, you don’t have many career options. To pay off her parents’ debt and earn her freedom, Marissa must do whatever Grimm asks, no matter what fairy-tale fiasco she’s called on to deal with.

Setting up a second-rate princess with a first-class prince is just another day at the office. But when the matchmaking goes wrong, Marissa and Grimm find themselves in a bigger magical muddle than ever before. Not only has the prince gone missing, but the Fae are gearing up to attack Kingdom, and a new Fairy Godmother is sniffing around Grimm’s turf, threatening Marissa with the one thing she can’t resist: her heart’s wishes.

Now Marissa will have to take on Fairies, Fae, dragons, and princesses to save the realm—or give up any hope of ever getting her happy ending…

REVIEW:

What a seriously awesome take on a world were fairy tale creatures actually exist, Grimm Fairy Tales are either done right or very repetitive, but this was an awesome adventurous take. The lead protagonist Marissa is a tough as nails girl that doesn’t have an ideal job but I would totally have a blast kicking some fairy creature butt like her.

Free Agent follows Marissa Locke who is paying off her parent’s debt by working for the very powerful Fairy Godfather Grimm. She has to fight powerful creatures, solve the unsolvable, and pretend to be a princess, its all in a days work when working for Grimm. But when Marissa falls for the “prince” and a new fairy godmother offers Marissa what she wants the most, she realizes her job is about to get all that much harder, especially when she finds out her princes isn’t a prince but something more.

Marissa has a tough job and one she didn’t come into willingly, as her parent’s choice to help their other daughter by sacrificing her. What frustrated me about this was how much Marissa wanted to be with her family and her mother just didn’t give a crap about what she did to her. I’m hoping Marissa will eventually see that maybe she can wish for a different life instead of wishing to go home. The best parts were Marissa interactions with Grimm, though she is forced to work for him, I can tell he really cares for her and in the end I would say might be a better mentor than her parents. Marissa overall has to deal with a lot and with her job she cant fall in love especially with a prince who belongs with a princess, but her weakness to be with someone messes with one of her jobs. Thus meeting Liam, whom she thought was a prince and fell for him, adding to a slight mistake of him getting sucked into danger and revealing his true self.

Marissa and Grimm were the main duo through out but the secondary characters like the mysterious and handsome Liam, Marissa’s sidekick and princess Ari, and co-worker Evangeline who no one should mess with, were all a bundle of fun. The readers will get sucking into many fairy tales dealing with Werewolves, Fae, Trolls and much more.

Overall this new series has a ton of potential and the world that Nelson created is freaking awesome with all the magic and fairy tales she was able to bring in, just for the first book. The biggest bummer for me was the romance, I always love my romance and it was there but wasn’t what I was hoping for. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed for more Liam and Marissa in the next book. The best tidbits were all the action, fighting scenes; Marissa does a lot of running and battling against some big bads. And of course anything to do with Liam, I was so surprised by his side story and can’t wait to get some history behind his true self.

In the end I look forward to continuing this series, even though it had some points where it was a bit slow at the beginning, I can tell the author is going to kick it up a notch after all she revealed in this story.

RECOMMENDATION:

This is an adult novel with lots of fairy tale kick butt action. Fans of The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyers and the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger will enjoy free Agent by J.C. Nelson.

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. I have this on my list to read and I'm so excited over it. The whole Grimm and fairy tale concept sounds like something I would love. All the action and kick-butt fighting scenes are just what I'm looking forward to. I love romance as well, so I'll cross my fingers when I meet Liam and Marissa (for the next book as well.) Thanks for the wonderful review Kristen & stopping by Book Swoon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't care for the romance either and I wasn't a fan of the action scenes, but overall I really liked this one. Definitely a series I will continue to follow. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete