Sep 13, 2012

{Early Review} Eve & Adam by Katherine Applegate

Eve and Adam by Katherine Applegate
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Science Fiction
THEME: Science / Romance
RECEIVED: Swap
AUTHORS BLOG: Katherine Applegate's Site

BLURB:
Sixteen-year-old Evening Spiker lives an affluent life in San Francisco with her mother, EmmaRose, a successful geneticist and owner of Spiker Biotech. Sure, Evening misses her father who died mysteriously, but she’s never really questioned it. Much like how she’s never stopped to think how off it is that she’s never been sick. That is, until she’s struck by a car and is exposed to extensive injuries. Injuries that seem to be healing faster than physically possible.

While recuperating in Spiker Biotech’s lush facilities, she meets Solo Plissken, a very attractive, if off-putting boy her age who spent his life at Spiker Biotech. Like Evening, he’s never questioned anything... until now. Solo drops hints to Evening that something isn’t right, and Emma-Rose may be behind it. Evening puts this out of her mind and begins her summer internship project: To simulate the creation of the perfect boy. With the help of Solo, Evening uncovers secrets so big they could change the world completely.

REVIEW:
After seeing this awesome cover I knew I was going to enjoy this book, just the idea of being able to create a human life with technology, its creepy but could happen. This book is ever bit of the science fiction awesomeness that I was looking for, though I was a bit surprised on the romance twist, I’m still trying to figure out if I liked that.

Eve and Adam, follow seventeen-year-old Evening (E.V.) Spiker that after a tragic accident that almost kills her she is brought to where her mother works. Spiker Biotech is everything “mysterious” and her mother whom Eve doesn’t get along with did something to E.V. that makes her healing process quicker. Soon E.V. learns more about what her mother does from Solo, a young boy who also seems to have secrets. Together they try to find out what’s really going on at Spiker Biotech and what is behind this new project E.V.’s mother is having her work on.

Evening is a smart and very athletic girl and also lost her father at a young age. Thus having a mother who is never around and always working doesn’t make for an easy family life. After the accident E.V. is confined to her mothers Biotech Company and is task with the job of creating the perfect human, which is suppose to be a program not for real. I found the relationship between mother and daughter very real, there is so much history, anger and loneliness in both of them and even with mistakes they still are mother and daughter. But even through all the emotional stuff, I wished I could of connected with E.V. a little bit more she was missing that spark or really making me care for her as the lead characters.

Aislin, now even though I felt her judgment in men aka her “boyfriend” was seriously annoying and she made me want to snap her out of making such horrible decisions. Plus I felt the story of her and her reckless boyfriend wasn’t necessary. I felt her character had the most depth and really stood out with her crazy boy loving personality. She is E.V.’s best friend and her totally opposite, where E.V. is innocent Aislin is rebellious and doesn’t think first. My only issue with Aislin was her odd shyness will the appearance of a boy who I thought carried the same innocence as E.V. it was too sudden of a change and no development.

Solo, this guy made me smile and yes maybe a little bit because he made me think of Han Solo for Star Wars. He was the hero and very brave to live the place where he hated the person who took him in. He’s very connected to E.V. their parents knew each other and had lots of secrets, but also he different like E.V. but I don’t want to get into more detail. He did have some

Overall I enjoyed the science of this book, being able to watch a human be created and imagine how powerful technology can be. I wished that the first half of the book wasn’t so slow and that we got more background about Solo, maybe in the next book. What I did enjoy was that each chapter was written from E.V., Solo and one other person POV, it helped the reader get a little more insight on each character. The ending was very action packed and the secrets were all coming out and I’m really interested to see how these characters move forward.


RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult novel with lots of science fiction elements. Fans of Dan Krokos’ False Memory and Nerve by Jeanne Ryan might enjoy Eve & Adam by Katherine Applegate and Michael Grant.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book! I read and finished it the same day it came out on NetGalley. The author is one of my favourite writers from my childhood. I can't wait for the second book to come out now! Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages
    +New GFC follower

    ReplyDelete