Mar 24, 2012

{Book Tour: Review} of Cicada by Belle Whittington


Seeing Night Reviews is the next stop in The Teen Book Scene Tour for Cicada by Belle Whittington.

Cicada
Cicada by Belle Whittington
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Fantasy
THEME: Aliens
RECEIVED: Review Request for Book Tour
AUTHORS BLOG: Belle Whittingtons Site


BLURB:
Summertime for Blair Reynolds and her friends had always been carefree and fun...until the summer they happened upon something that was not human. As they band together in a fight for their lives, Blair's true love becomes something more than human. Something unnatural. And their survival depends entirely upon their ability to keep a secret.

REVIEW:
I didn’t know what to expect with Cicada the synopsis caught my attention right away and the cover didn’t give much of a hit of what to expect. But I truly enjoyed this one of a kind young adult novel. Finally! A book without the usual paranormal creatures and a plot that just kept on making me guess. Though the beginning was a bit slow for me, when it started picking up I couldn’t put this book down.

Blair Reynolds lives in a small town and she is about to start summer with her friends. But it’s a summer that not only is their last together before college, it’s a summer filled with secrets after finding something that know one would ever believe.

Blair is dealing with being the only one a year younger than her friends and brother, all who are going to start college in the fall. Everything started out normal for them all until Blair and her friends discover crop circles in their hometown. Blair is a young girl who lost two people in her family and is struggling with their loss. But her strength starts to show its face once the discovery of this creature is discovered and a friend becomes in danger.

As for the secondary characters my only issue was I couldn’t really connect with any. Even Blair was a bit tough for me to care about, until it got father into the story. In the end Everett won me over with his bug fanatic nerdy self and how much of a mystery he becomes later on. The ending with Everett was a huge bonus for me and now I really want to know how he’s going to grow.

Overall the story panned out to be really interesting, the ending had a big twist and I just wished the beginning had hooked me faster. The science fiction bit were such a breath of fresh air with the alien aspect. The romance was there but minimal and nicely touched on as a hint for future books. I look forward to seeing what happens next and as a science fiction fan I would say you should give this one a try.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult novel that has a science fiction twist, was refreshing and fun. Fans of young adult writers Angeline Kace off Descended by Blood and P.T. Michelle of Brightest Kind of Darkness with enjoy Belle Whittington’s novel Cicada.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment