Feb 29, 2012

{Review} of Austentatious by Alyssa Goodnight

AustentatiousAustentatious by Alyssa Goodnight
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Fiction
THEME: Romance/Drama
RECEIVED: Won from Chick Lit is Not Dead
AUTHORS BLOG: Alyssa Goodnight's Site


BLURB:
In this quirky, sexy novel set against the lively, music-filled backdrop of Austin, Texas, a young woman learns that romance can wreak havoc with even the best laid plans. . .
It started innocently enough. While browsing in one of Austin's funky little shops, Nicola James is intrigued by a blank vintage journal she finds hidden among a set of Jane Austen novels. Even though Nic is a straight-laced engineer, she's still a sucker for anything Austen-esque. But her enthusiasm quickly turns to disbelief once she starts writing in the journal--because somehow, it's writing her back. . .
Miss Nicola James will be sensible and indulge in a little romance. Those twelve tiny words hit Nic like a thunderbolt, as if her diary was channeling Austen herself! Itching for a bit of excitement, Nic decides to follow her "Fairy Jane's" advice. The result: a red-hot romance with a sexy Scottish musician who charms his way into Nic's heart in about five seconds flat.
Sean MacInnes is warm, funny, and happens to think Nic is the most desirable woman he's ever met. But a guy like Sean doesn't exactly fit into her Life Plan. With no one but Fairy Jane to guide her, Nic must choose between the life she thought she wanted--and the kind of happy ending she never saw coming. . .
REVIEW:
I’m such a sap when it comes to anything Jane Austen; I always love the strong female lead and the wonderfully crafted romance. Alyssa Goodnight has written a story that every Jane Austen fan would love to have happened to them, Jane Austen herself giving advice, especially romantic advice. I immensely enjoyed Austentatious and look forward to reading more from Alyssa Goodnight.

Nicola James is an engineer in Austin Texas. She has always gone by her plan on how she wants her life. But her life is about to get a whole lot more interesting when she comes across a magic journal, which seems to answering anything she writes in it. Soon she realizes the possibility that Jane Austen herself is writing her back as well as helping her along the way in a new relationship. It seems like Nicola’s “Plan” for her life is about to change in a big way.

Nicola in a way reminded me a little of myself. I always had a plan in life and went by it completely until I met my soul mate. She finds herself falling for Sean, a man who is not apart of her plan but it just feels right whenever she’s with him. Of course she guided by her magical journal, which changed her skeptical views into truly wanting the journal aka Fairy Jane’s advice. I really enjoyed Nicola’s little freak out moments when the journal starts writing back to her. I can only imagine what my reaction would be to that.

Sean, a Scottish and very good looking motorcycle riding man who captures Nicola’s heart, was wonderful. I loved how he pushed her out of her safe zone and challenged her in just the right way.

Overall I was thrilled to read this light hearted and humorous novel. The main characters were fun and witty, along with some hilarious secondary characters who guide Nicola as well in her new romance. Oh and of course there is some great romance, let just say that there is a Kilt involved…enough said! I highly recommend this novel to Austen fans.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is an adult romance that lightens your heart and makes you want to read all of Jane Austen’s books again and again. Fans of author Jane Green and Sarah Mason will love Austentatious by Alyssa Goodnight.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Here is Jane Austen again, smacking me upside the head ;) it seems like everytime I turn around lately the world is telling me to read Pride & Prejudice. This is another of those times! This book sounds so good, so I am putting it on my list for as soon as I read P&P!!


    Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete