Jul 7, 2011

{Review} Memory's Wake by Selina Fenech

Memory's Wake (Memory's Wake Trilogy)Memory's Wake by Selina Fenech
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

GENRE:  YA Fantasy Romance
THEME: Magic/Fae
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Author
AUTHORS SITE: Memory's Wake Site

PURCHASE:

BLURB:
In a culture of cravats and corsets, a troubled sixteen-year-old stands out in her t-shirt and torn jeans. She takes the name “Memory” because hers are stolen, and she’ll do anything to get them back. Lost in a world not her own, where magic and monstrous fairies are real, Memory has enough to handle just trying to stay alive.

Chased by wizard hunters, hunted by a dragon, stalked by a strange, handsome savage, despised by the fae and wanted by the king himself – everyone is after Memory, and she suspects it’s not just for her eye-catching outfit. Her forgotten past holds dangerous secrets that will change everything.

Memory will fight to get back to a family and home she can’t remember but desperately desires, even at the cost of new friendships and romances. On the run with no name and no memories, she thinks she has nothing left to lose. She couldn’t be more mistaken.



REVIEW:
Memory’s Wake was such a beautifully written and illustrated novel that I almost have no words to express how much I enjoyed reading this book.  Selina Fenech really captivated me with her fantasy world she created, along with four characters that I connected to so easily. Memory’s Wake is full of adventure, action, family love, lots of magic and a splash of romance to top it off.

A young girl wakes to find herself stuck in a world she doesn’t understand. There are no phones, or the little things that are used in her daily life…but wait she doesn’t even remember her own name.  Taking the name Memory she travels along with a young girl named Eloryn to find out what happened to her and this girl might have the answer. With dragons, wizards, not so nice fairies and a very attractive savage that’s following her, Memory will do anything to get her life back and also try to keep herself alive.

I absolutely loved Memory; she is such a strong character who actually reminds me a lot of myself in high school. The hairstyle and clothing are almost to the exact description of my daily look back then. She definitely stands out in the world that she is lost in, with Victorian attire surrounding her black t-shirt and jean self, she sticks out. She is very determined to find out what happened to her and how she got to this new world.

Eloryn, whom Memory becomes friends with, is the polar opposite of Memory. Compared to her she has blonde hair, innocent in appearance and has nobility to her that shows she was raised in a different environment.  I felt she was a little too nice for my liking at some points. Both girls together really fed off each other in scenes and brought the story to life with such different personalities.

The love interests in the book are two very different young men as well. They supported the girls perfectly and I really enjoyed all their interaction and mystery about their past. Roen is a young man who helps the girls through their journey in the book and Will a mysterious young man who has a connection with Memory that’s really fascinating.  Fae are introduced through-out the book and have a huge impact on what happens to Memory and Eloryn.

Overall the plot was wonderful, I was really sucked into the world that Fenech created. What I also enjoyed were the illustrations, they were beautifully done and I loved having a face for the main characters, it gave that special boost of uniqueness.  Memory’s wake has a bit of everything for young adult fantasy readers and I highly recommend this to everyone.  I can’t wait for the second book!

RECOMMENDATION:

This is a young adult book for all ages, minor violence with some fight scenes. Fans of Cassandra Clare and Aimee Carter will love Memory’s Wake.



View all my reviews

PURCHASE ALSO AT THE FOLLOWING:


5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this before but wow, it sounds pretty amazing!! Illustrated too?? I'll have to check this out. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Feel free to link this up to my review blog hop here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want. Want, want...wantwantwant. And, I love the cover. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Faery Wings! How did I miss this book!

    I loved loved loved your review and I really want to get my hands on this book! It sounds fantastic!

    Thank you for such an amazing review and also for bringing this book to my attention :o] I'm in your debt!!!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this one before either but it sounds muchly like something I would enjoy. Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete