Aug 4, 2014

{Review} of Feral Sins by Suzanne Wright

Feral Sins by Suzanne Wright
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

GENRE: Paranormal Romance
THEME: Werewolves
RECEIVED: Bought

BLURB:
When female wolf shifter Taryn Warner first encounters Trey Coleman, an alpha male wolf shifter with a dangerous reputation, she’s determined to resist his charms. After all, Trey—who was only fourteen when he defeated his own father in a duel, winning the right to be alpha of his pack—can’t have anything to offer the talented healer besides trouble, or so she thinks.

Taryn finds herself drawn in by Trey’s forceful demeanor and arctic-blue eyes, and she eventually agrees to enter an uneasy alliance with him. If the two succeed in convincing their respective packs that they’ve chosen each other as mates, Trey will win valuable political allies, while Taryn will escape an odious arranged mating.

But there are a lot of potential pitfalls to this plan—including the very real possibility that the wolf shifters, overwhelmed by their growing attraction to each other, will be unable to maintain the clear heads needed to pull off the deception.

REVIEW:

I’m always in need of some paranormal romance, especially when it comes to my love for werewolves. After reading the great reviews of Feral Sins, I was super excited that I would find another series. Sadly I was a little disappointed and couldn’t connect with the tough as nails lead characters.

Feral Sins follows Taryn Warner who is a wolf shifter that is at the bottom of her pack, even though her father is her packs leader. She is treated terribly and is practically given to a terrible alpha that she has no interest on being with. Until she meets Trey, the powerful leader of another pack, who wants to be allies with her fathers. He makes her a deal, to claim her as his mate but only temporarily to help her, as she helps him gain an ally pack. But their deal has its ups and downs, and their hearts seem to start having a mind of their own.

Taryn is the typical tough female shifter, but she has a terrible upbringing in her pack. Her father is a jerk and has always treated as if she is nothing. But what he doesn’t realize is Taryn is anything but weak, she is an alpha female and clearly wants to make her own choices. I liked that she never backed down to anyone, she was always on guard. But that was also her weakness, as she couldn’t see the people who actually wanted her and cared for her.

Trey Coleman is an alpha male with a bad reputation, he is known for taking apart his father pack after he won him in a fight. But what the other packs don’t know is he is a good man who has a terribly family, especially his uncle who wants Trey’s pack. Trey decides an alliance is needed and thus he meets Taryn. Together they need each other, both in defeating their enemies but also looking to fill the emptiness that was taken from them long ago.

In the end I enjoyed the focus on the pack life, how they differ and how they know their true mates. My major issue was the obvious, I love the romance but hated beating around the bush, it was obvious when it came to their connection and it frustrated me that it was dragged on. I also love alpha males and tough female leads, I normally like rough language and passion but for some reason the steamy scenes felt forced. I’m not sure if it was the writing or if it seemed off character, I just couldn’t connect. Nonetheless I still enjoyed the plot and being introduced to such a dominant world of wolves. I will definitely continue and look forward to more writing from Wright.

RECOMMENDATION:

This is a paranormal romance with steamy scene and sexual content meant for a mature audience. Fans of the Moon Shifter series by Katie Reus and Southern Arcana series by Moria Rogers will enjoy Feral Sins by Suzanne Wright.
View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed this series. I listen to it on audio. I have heard Taryn described by Jennifer at TheBookNympho "Taryn seems to have sex brought on Tourette syndrome.", which is very true. I think listening to the audio, which has a great narrator helps this series out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series has been on my wishlist for ages, but the reviews have been mixed, and I'm afraid that I'll be disappointed by Wright's werewolves. Maybe I'll take Melanie's advice, and listen to these books instead.

    ReplyDelete