May 17, 2013

{Review} A Witch's Handbook of Kisses and Curses by Molly Harper

A Witch's Handbook of Kisses and Curses by Molly Harper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: Paranormal Romance
THEME: Witches, Vampire, and Shifters
RECEIVED: Edelweiss
AUTHORS BLOG: Molly Harpers' Site

BLURB:
Nola Leary would have been content to stay in Kilcairy, Ireland, healing villagers at her family’s clinic with a mix of magic and modern medicine. But a series of ill-timed omens and a deathbed promise to her grandmother have sent her on a quest to Half-Moon Hollow, Kentucky, to secure her family’s magical potency for the next generation. Her supernatural task? To unearth four artifacts hidden by her grandfather before a rival magical family beats her to it.

Complication One: Her grandfather was Mr. Wainwright and the artifacts are lost somewhere in what is now Jane Jameson's book shop.

Complication Two: her new neighbor, Jed Trudeau, who keeps turning up half naked at the strangest times, a distraction Nola doesn't need. And teaming up with a real-life Adonis is as dangerous as it sounds, especially when he’s got the face of an angel and the abs of a washboard—can Nola complete her mission before falling completely under his spell?

REVIEW:
I adored Molly Harpers Naked Werewolf series, I’m always looking for paranormal romances with a great sense of humor and Harper is the go to author for that. I hadn’t read the first in the Half Moon Hollow series but was easily pulled into this fun and humorous world without feeling lost. This series does mention many characters from the Jane Jameson series, fans of that series will be excited but don’t worry the new characters are the main focus.

A Witch’s Handbook of Kisses and Curses follows Nola Leary, a witch who travels to Half-Moon Hollow to keep her promise to her grandmother. She is searching for special artifacts that will secure the magic in her family for the next generation. But she has a couple of obstacles in the way; one being a rival family of witches, two that the artifacts are hidden in who knows where in town, and three her very attractive new neighbor. Nola has a time limit, the clock is ticking and the enemy is getting closer.

Nola is such a fun character that is definitely overwhelmed with trying to keep a secret from her boyfriend, meet long lost relatives and accidentally ending up with two jobs. As always in Harpers books the humor is my favorite and Nola has some great one-liners and scenes. I loved her friendship with everyone she meets in town, especially her neighbor Jed. What frustrated me the most was she obviously wasn’t feeling that connection to her boyfriend; he doesn’t even like her family, I wanted her to see that this guy wasn’t for her a little sooner. But nonetheless I adored Nola as characters on a mission and her journey as she discovers more about herself and that her enemies may surprise her.

Jed was a unique character; I knew he was up to something and that he was a supernatural in some manner. This guy will surprise you in every way, I had know idea there was going to be such a shocker with his character. He always seems to catch Nola at some funny moments; of course she can’t seem to get this guy off her mind. The relationship between the two was paced well with lots of banter and chemistry that made me love this couples development.

Overall Harper does a fantastic job introducing characters into an already evolved town from another series. I didn’t feel that I needed to read the other series to understand because Nola was the focus. I loved every character, they all brought something special to the plot and of course humor. In the end I’ll definitely be coming back to this world and can’t wait to see what happens next with Nola and what new characters Harper introduces.


RECOMMENDATION:
This is an adult novel with lots of humor, steamy moments and unforgettable characters. Fans of authors Katie MacAlister and Lynsay Sands will love this series.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE Molly Harper fan!! HUGE!!! I loved the Naked Warewolf books (and can't wait for the next one! December is WAY too far way!) And her Half Moon Hallow books had me rolling! What I love most about these books is that they revisit, while focusing on new!

    Thanks for the fantastic review, I need NEED to read this one!

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Glad to meet another Harper fan. Shes fantastic and i love all the humor in her books. I cant wait for the next naked werewolf book either its been such a long wait but I know it will be worth it. I hope you enjoy this one, I know I did :)

    ReplyDelete