Dec 6, 2012

{Thoughts on Thursday} Should I Read The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling?



Thoughts on Thursday is just my thoughts on some reading, news, author updates, and future books that I want to discuss with all the readers out there.



What is The Casual Vacancy?
A BIG NOVEL ABOUT A SMALL TOWN ...

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils ... Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?
The Hype
As a big fan of J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter series, which I grew up with, I was thrilled to hear about her going into the adult genre. Now an adult I was glad to have a more grown up story with the great writing that captivated me in Harry Potter.

I just recently heard that The Casual Vacancy is also being adapted into a BBC series, since its that good of a book. So of course I was ready to get reading!


The Reviews
As a blogger and reviewer I follow many blogs like mine but my major place to discover books in on goodreads. I was shocked to see that this book has a really low rating and I started reading some of the comments. The reviews are mixed those who like the book because... well it's J.K. to some who couldn't finish it. That got me thinking, is all the hype just for the author, not the story?

I would love to hear what more fellow reviewers and bloggers thought about this book, I'm iffy about the synopsis but I do enjoy her writing. Should I give a try or wait till the price isnt so extreme?.. 13.00 bucks for a kindle book dang!

No comments:

Post a Comment