Aug 11, 2012

{Review} The Darkest Day by Britt Bury

The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)The Darkest Day by Britt Bury
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: Paranormal Romance
THEME: Magic/Immortals
RECEIVED: Bought
AUTHORS BLOG: Britt Bury's Site

BLURB:
ALL-CONSUMING DESIRE . . .

Izel Campbell was raised to believe she is an immortal Fionn with the magical skills of persuasion. But when she travels to Scotland to visit her ancestral home, Izel discovers that she is actually the world's last living human. Forced to run for her life, Izel crosses paths with Kelvin Kerr, the Campbells' greatest foe-and the most magnificent warrior she has ever seen.

BURNS BRIGHTEST . . .

A thousand-year-old battle chief of the Kerr clan, Kelvin lives only to avenge his father, who died at the hands of the bloody Campbells. Honor demands he kill the Campbell heir, but when he learns that the lovely Izel is both Campbell and human, Kelvin is torn between duty and desire . . .

THE DARKEST DAY

REVIEW:
Debut author Britt Bury has been a guest on my blog twice and I was thrilled to review her debut novel The Darkest Day. I was excited to dig into this exiting new world of immortals, magic and romance and definitely was not disappointed.

The Darkest Day follows Izel Campbell who was raised to believe she was an immortal and from a long line of warriors known as the Fionn. She sets off to visit her grandfather in Scotland only to discover that she not only human but also comes face to face with her families enemy, a man who stirs up something from within her. But this man finds that not only can’t he harm her but also he can’t resist her either.

Izel was a bit different in the female genre for me, usually the woman are tough and ready to kick some butt. But Izel was a little too hot and cold for my liking and sometimes got on my nerves. After thinking she was immortal for so long I though she would have more backbone, but she was fragile and very innocent. I did like that as the story progressed she began to learn her strengths and she matured as a person to someone I liked. I enjoyed the history behind her clan as well, also discovering who her grandfather is and the secret behind who she is.

Kelvin Kerr, is the man who not only goes against his instinct of killing a Campbell, aka who Izel is, but this warrior finds he has a soft side that he only shows to Izel. His character is the one I felt changes the most, he falls for a woman that’s suppose to be his enemy but in the end and after much banter goes against what he believed. I love the chemistry and the scenes with Izel and Kelvin were hot and emotional. His family is known as Pookah’s that have an animal instinct within them, Kelvins being a razorback. I liked this concept, even though I found the name Pookah to be strange for such tough warriors.

There is also a side story, to introduce the characters for future books. Ryo who is a witch with a snarky and fun attitude and someone I hope to read more about. There is also Ian, Kelvins brother who is having a hard time dealing with a demon princess. I’m dying to know what happens between these two because you can really feel the connection.

Overall the story may be focused on the romance of the lead characters its still about a long and deadly feud between the Pookahs and the Fionns, animal against magical. Bury’s writing was fast paced and exciting, her character developments were fantastic. I try to read paranormal romances that have a strong plots and I felt this one hit the spot right on. This is a paranormal romance that has humor, action, steamy scenes and a unique world that will hook the reader right at the beginning. I recommend this for PNR lovers and cant wait for more from debut author Britt Bury.


RECOMMENDATION:
This is a paranormal romance with sexual content that is suitable for adults. Fans of Gena Showalters Lords of the Underworld series and Lynsay Sands Argeneau series will love Britt Burys Immortal Heat series.
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment