May 10, 2012

{Review} of Revived by Cat Patrick

RevivedRevived by Cat Patrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Science Fiction
THEME: Science/Life/Death
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Little Brown Books for Young Readers
AUTHORS BLOG: Cat Patricks Site

BLURB:
As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life. 

A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency’s true goals, she realizes she’s at the center of something much larger—and more sinister—than she ever imagined.

REVIEW:
Books like Revived make me remember why I enjoy science fiction books so much. The mystery, the science experiments and of course the bad guys. This was my first book from author Cat Patrick and definitely not my last; I enjoyed her characters and story telling behind this interesting novel about a science project called Revive.

Revived follows Daisy, starting right off the bat with her dying surrounded by classmates and school teachers after she was stung by a bee. Obviously she was allergic, but Daisy is different, she is apart of a program called Revive, which bring you back from the dead. It has only been tested on young kids and each child is protected and tested by an agency. But something goes wrong when she discovers a hidden case file and she wonders whom can she really trust.

Daisy isn’t your ordinary girl, having died so many times and being brought back to life isn’t normal in any case. But it’s the life she’s always known, having agents pretend to be her parent while pretending to be a normal girl. Her social life was pretty sad until she moved to her new town. I felt kind of bad for her since she pretty much has to lie to everyone about her past. But I liked her relationship with the other kids that are in the program,

Matt and Audrey are brother and sister, they befriend Daisy and all become really close. I loved their relationship and how they both really understood and accepted Daisy. They do hit some emotional aspect that pretty much broke my heart, but the characters learn and become to accept how things just can’t be controlled. Patrick wrote such a wonderful friendship around these three that challenge the characters and put them in some difficult situations.

Overall I really adored this book, so much happen but in the end this book is really about life and death. What would happen if someone had control over bringing people back after death and the consequences? The bad guys were a little obvious at one point but still keep the story strong. The writing was superb and I cant emphasis enough how much I loved Patrick’s character building. The plot was intense and kept the heart pumping, I never knew what was going to happen next. This is a science fiction book that you don’t want to miss.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult novel that makes you really wonder about government secret projects. Fans of authors Lauren DeStefano who writes the Chemical Garden series and Elizabeth Norris author of Unraveling will love Revived by Cat Patrick.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read this! I love a strong character build and when strong friendships are present. This has such an intriguing concept too. I hope my copy arrives soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like all of those then you'll enjoy this book. I thought the character were great and all had there special elements that really pulled the book together. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete