Feb 22, 2012

{Review} Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt

Double Clutch (Brenna Blixen, #1)Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Fiction
THEME: Romance/Drama
RECEIVED: For Review for The Teen Book Scene Tour
AUTHORS BLOG: Liz Reinhardt's Blog


BLURB:
What happens when you fall in love with the perfect guy...twice...in one day?

Brenna Blixen spent her freshman year homeschooling in Denmark; now that she's back in the States, she's determined to make her sophomore year unforgettable. And by unforgettable, she imagined awesome classes, fun friendships, and maybe a little romance.

What she got was a whole lot of romance, and all at once.

The same day that dark, brooding Saxon Maclean charmed her with his killer good looks and whip-smart wit, Jake Kelly stole her breath away with his heart-wrenching smile and intelligent, thoughtful focus.

But Saxon is a proud player who makes it clear that he doesn't know why he can't get Brenna off of his mind and out of his system, and Jake's sweet and humble attitude hides a secret past life that might be more darker and more complex than Brenna's willing to handle.

Complicating the matter is the fact that Saxon and Jake were once best friends and are now arch-enemies...and the more Brenna finds out about their connection to each other, the more intrigued and worried she becomes.

Between keeping the peace with her lovingly over-protective parents, designing t-shirts for her high school's rising punk band, keeping up her grades in both academic and technical high school, and running the track like a maniac, Brenna has enough to worry about with out juggling two guys who make her heart thud and drive her crazy all at once.

She has to make a choice. But how can she when giving her heart to one of them might mean breaking the other's?

REVIEW:
You know when you start reading a book and for a moment you just need to stop and just say, “wow, this is fantastic!” Well that’s how I felt when I was reading Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt, and I have to add that I’m ashamed of not reading this book sooner and not reading any of Reinhardt’s books either. What a thrill this novel was, the passion, the drama and the characters were like I just ate the best chocolate candy ever, utter delicious and amazing.

Brenna Blixen moves back to her hometown after being in Demark for a year. She starts her sophomore year challenging herself with classes and meeting new people. But what she didn’t expect was two boys who in the end make her life a whole lot more interesting.

Brenna is such a down to earth and truthful young girl, she’s very open and compassionate and I think that’s why I really enjoyed her character. She was something different then what I normally read of female character and it was a wonderful change. She meets two boys who are very opposite and really both challenging her in how they treat her and how they themselves need her in different ways.

Saxon, oh boy… This guy is very tricky and of course a playboy with lots of arrogance. But there was something charming about him, with a lot of vulnerability that I couldn’t resist. His interactions with Brenna are always full of spunk and irritation that I felt both character were just feeding of each other. I really enjoyed each scene he was in; lets just say it was never boring.

Jake, let me just add that this boy melted my heart and turned my insides into butter. He’s a doll with an extremely broken past; I really pulled for this guy to redeem himself and stop putting himself down. He has the charm that I love in a guy, by being so open and truthful about his life. And though he may be ashamed he really trusts Brenna and would do anything for her. Their scenes together were smoking! I loved how they both were trying something different and grew in their relationship.

Overall I couldn’t get enough and I was just enthralled in this story, that I actually went back a re-read some scene that I loved. Truth be told, I have never re-read scenes after just finishing a book. I just couldn’t help but be giddy after I finished. There is so much more to this story than just romance and drama, there’s Brenna’s relationship with her parents, friends and dedication to school is what tied everything together into a nice bow of greatness. I highly recommend this series and even though I felt this could be a stand alone, there are many more stories to come of these characters, so look out!


RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult story that does contain mature elements for older young adults. Fans of Stephanie Perkins author of Anna and the French kiss, will be forever addicted to Liz Reinhardt’s Double Clutch.




View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this fantastically lovely review! You have put a huge smile on my face this morning...what an awesome thing to read as soon as I woke up!! Thank you for your time, detail, and kindness ;)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore this book and Junk Miles and cannot wait for the next one! Lovely review!!

    ReplyDelete