Feb 23, 2012

{ARC Review} of Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Fantasy Romance
THEME: Mythology
RECEIVED: For Review from Edelweiss
AUTHORS BLOG: Aimee Carter's Site

BLURB:
Kate Winters has won immortality.

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone.

REVIEW:
Probably many of my followers were fans of Aimee Carters first novel Goddess Test, like me. I was excited to jump back into the world of mythology and follow the young Kate Winters in her new role in the Underworld. I have to say I felt Goddess Interrupted was possibly even better than the first, I enjoyed it all the way through and even got a little emotional at some points.

Kate Winters life has changed in many ways. First she has won immortality and second she is now going to live a new life in the Underworld. Henry aka ruler of the Underworld and now Kate’s husband is supposed to grant her the position of Queen. But something is very wrong and when a powerful Titan takes Henry and her family, she must prepare to save them and stop an upcoming war. She even has to get help from the last person she ever wanted to…Henry’s first wife, Persephone.

Kate was once again a fantastically strong character. I thought she went through quite an emotionally rollercoaster in the first book, but in Goddess Interrupted she is high on emotions. Pretty much the first half of the book I felt so bad for Kate, she really loves Henry and well he’s not the easiest person to talk to or to get talking. Her emotions hit a low point and almost giving up hope about what her new life has brought. Her biggest challenge is definitely to her heart and how much she can take before it hurts too much.

Henry, whom I loved in the first book, was so frustrating in this one. I wanted to smack him upside the head with how he was treating Kate. I wanted him to get a serious wake up call, which a lot of people tried to do, even Kate.  Everyone knows the mythology of Hades and Persephone, I felt bad for what she did to him, but I really thought he should just get over it. But again his weariness of being loved was what really pulled me into the book; I was constantly rooting for him to just let Kate into his heart.

All the characters from the first book are back, Ava, James and of course her sweet mother. With the introduction of Persephone, who I felt was a great addition and twist to the story. Calliope is back and boy does she do some real damage, but I wont say much more than that.

Overall, fantastic second chapter to the Goddess Test series, you get an insight into the Underworld and what’s in store for Kate in the future. In the end Henry was the only character who really annoyed me and I didn't like not enjoying his character as much as I wanted to. But be prepared the ending is killer and shocked me like no other.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult story that takes mythology and adds a fun twist. Fans of Jennifer Estep’s Mythos Academy series and Jennifer L. Armentrouts Covenant Series will enjoy Aimee Carters Goddess Interrupted.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Henry is such a brooding man. did you yell like i did telling him to stop being all that far-reached.

    P/S New Follower. Lisa @ When She Reads

    ReplyDelete