Aug 8, 2011

{Review} of Red Fox by Karina Halle

Red Fox (Experiment in Terror, #2)Red Fox by Karina Halle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: Paranormal Romance/Horror
THEME: Shifters/Ghost
RECEIVED:  Received for Review from Author
AUTHOR BLOG: Karina Halle Site

PURCHASE Red Fox:

BLURB:
With Book Two of the Experiment in Terror Series, Perry Palomino and Dex Foray trade in the stormy Oregon coast for the unforgiving deserts of New Mexico. 

In the for­got­ten town of Red Fox, a Navajo cou­ple is tor­tured by things unseen and by motives unknown. Wild ani­mals slink through their house in the dark, a bar­rage of stones pound their roof nightly, and muti­lated sheep car­casses are turn­ing up on their prop­erty. Armed with a cam­era and just enough to go on, Perry and Dex travel to the des­o­late locale, hop­ing to film the super­nat­ural occur­rences and add cred­i­bil­ity to their flail­ing web­cast. Only their show has a lot more work­ing against them than just grow­ing pains. Tested by dubi­ous ranch hands, a ghost from Dex’s past, and shapeshift­ing decep­tion, the ama­teur ghost hunters must learn to trust each other in order to fight the most ancient of myths…or die trying.

REVIEW:
After reading the first of the Experiment in Terror Series by Karina Halle, I was just craving more about the ghost hunting pair Perry and Dex. Darkhouse ended with a bang and Red Fox started off with one, I absolutely enjoyed the second installment.

Red Fox follows the ghost-hunting duo Perry and Dex, this time they are trying to keep their supernatural show going, so they take a trip to New Mexico to see about a possible poltergeist. Little do they know that ghost aren’t the only thing to be afraid of. Shifters and supernatural occurrence seem to keep following Perry and being more violent this time around.

I really enjoyed the Navajo storyline and the shaman culture, I’ve always been fascinated by it.  It was also great to see how Perry and Dex would do pretending to be a married couple, for the benefit of the Christian Navajo couple that they were staying with. Their relationship was a mix of hilarious moments and lots of jealousy, which I enjoyed immensely. What I also liked was digging deeper into Dex’s mysterious past, by introducing an old “friend” of his, who seems to have a soft spot for Perry.

Perry was better than ever and really having to watch her back at every moment because it seemed like anything and everything was after her. She was a lot stronger and really wanted to dig deep into the mystery behind the supernatural occurrence with the couple.

Once again Halle captivated me with her writing and unforgettable characters, I hope to read many more adventures with her ghost hunting gang and that more creepy stories are to come.  I felt that Red Fox wasn’t as scary as Darkhouse but I loved that it was a different paranormal element, having them go on a different mysterious adventure every time is more exciting.  Overall I highly recommend the Experiment in Terror series!

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a mature young adult / adult story with very scary situations and fantastic mystery. I highly recommend this to fans of horror and paranormal enthusiast.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I love a bit of jealousy in my books! This sounds really good and something I'd enjoy. Got it on my to-read list, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete