Apr 28, 2011

{Review} Magic on the Hunt by Devon Monk


Magic on the Hunt
by Devon Monk
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
THEME: Magic
RECEIVED: Bought
AUTHOR: Devon Monk
PUBLISHER: Feiwel & Friends
PURCHASE: Amazon.com

BLURB: In the secret lockup of the Authority, the council that decides what can and can't be done with magic, an undead magic user has possessed one of the prisoners. He wants his freedom-and then some. Now Allie Beckstrom and her lover, Zayvion, are the first line of defense against the chaos he's about to unleash on the city of Portland...

QUICK THOUGHTS:

Oh how much I love Devon Monks’ Allie Beckstrom series. I have never missed a beat with her amazing Urban Fantasy. Once again Allie and the gang are trying to track down some magical baddies, with the head of the Authority missing a lot of chaos is happening. Allie is still dealing with her father possessing her body and with all the danger that lies ahead; it’s actually a good thing he’s there. This is one series that I can’t get enough of and I really love how kick butt Allie is.

REVIEW:

Book number 6 in the series, I swear sometimes I feel the need to wrap Allie in bubble wrap to keep her safe. She is always in the middle of the magic craziness and she doesn’t always get out unharmed.

Allie is a strong lead character and having her father possessing her body is not an easy thing to get use to. Her father was pretty powerful and knew some tricks that make Allie that much stronger. She lost a bit of magic in the last book but gained something else from the death side of things. I felt bad for her this time around because she is the protective type and when her friends are in trouble she really tries her best to protect them, sometimes asking for her father to help out. But no matter what she does sometimes people she loves get hurt.

Zayvion is back of course; Allies lover and magical man extraordinaire, he and his crew Terric and Shame are working for the Authority. They are to take down an undead magic user who is determined to possess a body. Meaning he will stop at nothing to do so and with them in the way a lot injuries are sure to follow.  Zavyion frustrated me a bit this time around because as much as he loves Allie he really puts her down sometimes like she’s a child and she is definitely not. I’m waiting for the day when she gets crazy powerful.

Shame and Terric are big key characters this time around and I love it. Their bickering and sarcasm I can’t get enough of. Shame always wants some whiskey, where Terric is always making sure Shame doesn’t do anything stupid.  They are a fantastic pair.

RECOMMENDATION:

This is an adult novel with lots of violence but not gruesome. If you’re a fan of Jennifer Estep and Chloe Neill you’ll love this series! I highly recommend this, so what are you waiting for!



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this series but your review makes me want to try it! =)

    ReplyDelete